Over 20 years of experience detecting sewer odors in residential and commercial applications has given our highly skilled technicians at Total Plumbing an amazing advantage at thinking outside the box to detect the source of sewer odors. Smoke testing is the main method used to find these sources. Smoke testing consists of lighting an environmentally safe smoke bomb inside of a smoke machine to force smoke through your sewer system. We then search the home to find where the smoke is exiting your sewer line, thus showing us the source of the leak.
Do you have a sewer odor in the bathroom or kitchen of your home?
Maybe it isn’t a strong smell, but it is consistent. Or it could be a strong smell that is only noticeable on occasion.
There are a few common reasons for a sewer odor in the bathroom. We’ll go over a few here.
1. The water trap under the floor drain has cracked due to lack of use. The floor drain can dry up, causing it to crack and allow sewer gas to come up through the cracks and be noticeable in the bathroom. If it is that simple of a cause you can put some water down the drain to restore the water trap.
2. You can check for a clean-out plug in the floor drain. There should be a plug inside the drain bowl. If it is missing sewer gas can come through and cause sewer odor.
3. Water in your toilet trap can also evaporate and cause the trap to dry and crack. This is less likely, it would take weeks of not being used for this to occur.
4. A bad wax ring between the toilet flange and base of the toilet can allow sewer gas to leak into the bathroom and cause a sewer odor. To fix this the toilet needs to be removed and the wax ring replaced.
5. It is also possible that a broken or cracked sewer line is the cause. This is a more serious problem and would require locating the break and replacing or patching the pipe.
Total Plumbing has the knowledge, skill and experience to help you with all of your plumbing needs, including sewer odors. Any of the issues listed above we can take care of quickly and easily, saving you time and giving you peace of mind that the repairs are done correctly. We are licensed and insured, serving Garland, Rockwall, Plano, Mesquite, Dallas and surrounding DFW areas.
Call us today to schedule an appointment or if you have any questions.
What to Expect:
- Technician will arrive and asses your specific problem
- Smoke test, if required
- Find the source of the odor
- Present the most efficient repair option for your home
Call Now! 972-681-4434
Request a Quote
Hear What Our Customers are Saying
- Dulce Alfaro
Marco was very professional and did a great job repairing the toilet. Excellent price... they are our new "go to" plumbers!!!
- Nathan James
Professional, honest and fairly priced. Couldn't have asked for more.
- Michael S
Cody and his team at Total Plumbing are top notch professionals. As a restoration contractor, I am routinely tasked with finding the source of water damage and dealing with it. It is refreshing to have Total Plumbing available to handle any repair issues required to complete our work. They demonstrate a high level of integrity and are adamant about completing their work properly. The entire team is knowledgeable, helpful and friendly. They stand by their work and want to develop customers for life.
- Jared Schweers
Total Plumbing has provided several repairs at various properties. Sink hardware replacements, shower repairs, toilet repairs and our neighbor had a slab leak repair. Their plumbers are very friendly and price is always very reasonable. I'd highly recommend their service!
- Cameron Smith
Had them referred to me by a family friend. They are fair, transparent, and honest each time I've needed their work. Couldn't imagine going to anyone else for future plumbing issues.