Over 20 years of experience detecting sewer odors in residential and commercial applications has given our highly skilled technicians at Total Plumbing an amazing advantage at thinking outside the box to detect the source of sewer odors. Smoke testing is the main method used to find these sources. Smoke testing consists of lighting an environmentally safe smoke bomb inside of a smoke machine to force smoke through your sewer system. We then search the home to find where the smoke is exiting your sewer line, thus showing us the source of the leak.
Do you have a sewer odor in the bathroom or kitchen of your home?
Maybe it isn’t a strong smell, but it is consistent. Or it could be a strong smell that is only noticeable on occasion.
There are a few common reasons for a sewer odor in the bathroom. We’ll go over a few here.
1. The water trap under the floor drain has cracked due to lack of use. The floor drain can dry up, causing it to crack and allow sewer gas to come up through the cracks and be noticeable in the bathroom. If it is that simple of a cause you can put some water down the drain to restore the water trap.
2. You can check for a clean-out plug in the floor drain. There should be a plug inside the drain bowl. If it is missing sewer gas can come through and cause sewer odor.
3. Water in your toilet trap can also evaporate and cause the trap to dry and crack. This is less likely, it would take weeks of not being used for this to occur.
4. A bad wax ring between the toilet flange and base of the toilet can allow sewer gas to leak into the bathroom and cause a sewer odor. To fix this the toilet needs to be removed and the wax ring replaced.
5. It is also possible that a broken or cracked sewer line is the cause. This is a more serious problem and would require locating the break and replacing or patching the pipe.
Total Plumbing has the knowledge, skill and experience to help you with all of your plumbing needs, including sewer odors. Any of the issues listed above we can take care of quickly and easily, saving you time and giving you peace of mind that the repairs are done correctly. We are licensed and insured, serving Garland, Rockwall, Plano, Mesquite, Dallas and surrounding DFW areas.
Call us today to schedule an appointment or if you have any questions.
What to Expect:
- Technician will arrive and asses your specific problem
- Smoke test, if required
- Find the source of the odor
- Present the most efficient repair option for your home
Call Now! 972-681-4434
Request a Quote
Hear What Our Customers are Saying
- Bola O
Just want to make sure I review companies that do a good job to help others. I had a new dishwasher that needed to be installed but a pipe was blocking access to the installation. They came out to cut the pipe and fit it behind the cabinet. They did a good job on that and also fixed a leaky sink. I had an issue with my garbage disposal afterwards and they came out promptly to fix it. Sergio was very polite and helpful in explaining what needed to be done. I was happy with the job done and also the level of customer service i got when i called for a follow up issue. Thank you.
- April B
I called due to all of the good reviews. TOTALLY GLAD I DID! Craig came in, put new shut off valves under the kitchen sink amd installed my new dosposal. Professional, quick, quality work at a fair rate! I will call them for future needs and highly recommend.
- Dulce Alfaro
Marco was very professional and did a great job repairing the toilet. Excellent price... they are our new "go to" plumbers!!!
- Nathan James
Professional, honest and fairly priced. Couldn't have asked for more.
- Sam Fung
Sergio came out to my house to fix a leaking main water valve. He was very courteous, professional, and did a fantastic job. Also, the pricing is very fair as we all dread the potential bill for plumbing services. Total Plumbing Service has won a new customer here for sure!