Over 20 years of experience detecting sewer odors in residential and commercial applications has given our highly skilled technicians at Total Plumbing an amazing advantage at thinking outside the box to detect the source of sewer odors. Smoke testing is the main method used to find these sources. Smoke testing consists of lighting an environmentally safe smoke bomb inside of a smoke machine to force smoke through your sewer system. We then search the home to find where the smoke is exiting your sewer line, thus showing us the source of the leak.
Do you have a sewer odor in the bathroom or kitchen of your home?
Maybe it isn’t a strong smell, but it is consistent. Or it could be a strong smell that is only noticeable on occasion.
There are a few common reasons for a sewer odor in the bathroom. We’ll go over a few here.
1. The water trap under the floor drain has cracked due to lack of use. The floor drain can dry up, causing it to crack and allow sewer gas to come up through the cracks and be noticeable in the bathroom. If it is that simple of a cause you can put some water down the drain to restore the water trap.
2. You can check for a clean-out plug in the floor drain. There should be a plug inside the drain bowl. If it is missing sewer gas can come through and cause sewer odor.
3. Water in your toilet trap can also evaporate and cause the trap to dry and crack. This is less likely, it would take weeks of not being used for this to occur.
4. A bad wax ring between the toilet flange and base of the toilet can allow sewer gas to leak into the bathroom and cause a sewer odor. To fix this the toilet needs to be removed and the wax ring replaced.
5. It is also possible that a broken or cracked sewer line is the cause. This is a more serious problem and would require locating the break and replacing or patching the pipe.
Total Plumbing has the knowledge, skill and experience to help you with all of your plumbing needs, including sewer odors. Any of the issues listed above we can take care of quickly and easily, saving you time and giving you peace of mind that the repairs are done correctly. We are licensed and insured, serving Garland, Rockwall, Plano, Mesquite, Dallas and surrounding DFW areas.
Call us today to schedule an appointment or if you have any questions.
What to Expect:
- Technician will arrive and asses your specific problem
- Smoke test, if required
- Find the source of the odor
- Present the most efficient repair option for your home
Call Now! 972-681-4434
Request a Quote
Hear What Our Customers are Saying
I decided to go with Total Plumbing originally because of their reviews, and I am so happy I did. Adam came out to our house and helped us figure out the root cause of our issues, then he and his team addressed it efficiently and effectively. Adam went above and beyond working through any concerns with us to make sure everything was working properly when he left, and that we understood what had been done. We have an older house, as new home owners this is something we greatly appreciated- him taking the time to walk through the work being done and why. Cody in the office was very helpful in working with us too to determine what services we might actually be needing. Very professional, great work, and great customer service. I would give them 10 stars if I could, I highly recommend them.